Uh so maybe I should have posted this almost a year ago. Sometime around Catalyst 12.3, the framerate in Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Medal of Honor 2009 took a severe hit. I am not sure if Need for Speed: The Run (the other frostbite engine game) took a hit.
As usual, the fix is simply placing an older driver dll into the game folder if you want to keep a newer set for the rest of the system. You’ll need aticfx32.dll and atidxx32.dll if you play in DirectX 10 (why wouldn’t you be anyway?).
Refer to my instructions on how to extract driver dll files from installers.
UPDATE3: After poking inside the CAP file from 13.2 beta 6, I noticed they finally changed the profile to HawkenGame*.exe, so my crossfire fix should no longer be needed (unless you’re using older CAPs of course).
UPDATE2: It seems you dont need to force triple buffering anymore as of the current beta (December 14), so the only thing to do is force the correct driver profile. (still have to force TB on my 570m as of September 2013)
UPDATE: So the new open beta is interesting, the menus are killing performance for me (4870×2 Catalyst 12.6l), but it’s pretty decent in game. Everything is maxed and I appear to be cpu limited (q9550 at 3.6ghz). Moving around does result in lower framerates like the closed alpha and beta, but maybe it’s a bit more stable now. Also, lowering resolution increases performance when not cpu limited, compared to before where for some reason it ran fastest for me at 1920×1200 native. So try the open beta, do not be alarmed at the awful menu and garage framerates, just start the tutorial or play a match, and remember to force triple buffering if using vsync.
Seems like this is another odd case of poor vsync coming from a recent Unreal Engine 3 game. So if you want to play Hawken with vsync, you better force triple buffering in D3DOverrider, RadeonPro, or similar programs.
As for the driver profile, the exe name is incorrect. The current beta and previous alpha are HawkenGame-Win32-Shipping.exe, while the driver is expecting just HawkenGame.exe. Maybe the developer renamed the game exe recently, oh well.
So what you want to do is either rename your game exe to HawkenGame.exe, or make a crossfire profile in CCC/RadeonPro to load the driver’s Hawken profile.
Apparently I forgot to tell people… use the Call of Juarez Bound in Blood profile, CoJBiBGame_x86.exe, now Sniper Ghost Warrior will now scale nicely. You may see some slight flickers when blood effects are on screen, no big deal.
UPDATE: I have tried the game recently, looks like the current driver profile doesn’t scale very well and maxes out GPU usage, so I will just force AFR and not care about any flickers I spot. You do still have to force triple buffering unlike Hawken.
Set TribesAscend.exe to use the AFR-Friendly or Mass Effect 3 profile, either from CCC or RadeonPro. Now most importantly, use D3DOverrider to force triple buffering if you want to use vsync. Enable vsync itself from the game or with D3DOverrider, but the main thing is to have triple buffering forced. Seems certain Unreal Engine 3 games struggle and stutter with the internal game vsync.
If the rare flickering bothers you (ski training, shadows on gun when you start and aim around), try the Hard Reset profile, but the framerate might be a tad slower.
Of course, you would use Crysis2.exe since it’s the same engine. You might see small amounts of sky/light flickers from time to time, or possibly the sky’s brightness ends up a little overblown. Another profile that might scale without flickering is Optimize 1×1.
After some testing, you might as well use the Portal 2 profile, Portal2.exe. Now you will get scaling and the in-game minimap will not flicker. The only issue is that when you open the menu while in game, the background will flicker between different frames.
These other profiles also should work the same way: ACR.exe, HardReset.exe, Shaun White Skateboarding.exe, wic.exe
Other source engine profiles do NOT help, either the map flickers or you don’t get any scaling, so don’t bother with left4dead.exe, dota2.exe, or csgo.exe.
Just use the Company of Heroes profile, RelicCOH.exe. Some demanding tracks may not scale much or at all, but the simpler ones do get a boost. Plus the GPU usage should be cleaner instead of getting no scaling and twice the power draw/heat generation.
So this has happened before a couple years ago. Luckily it appears to be minor. Just open a close a game and your secondary crossfire gpu should be back to 2d idle clockspeeds. I tried it on a couple DirectX9 games and it worked fine.
I discovered this some months ago, when vsync and crossfire are enabled in old UE2 games, the combination will cause strange framerates and massive stuttering. So you should disable CF by disabling Catalyst AI, rename the game to ForceSingleGPU.exe, or make a profile in RadeonPro or the profiles feature in CCC (starting from Catalyst 12.1).
This seems to affect the standard UE2 games, not the heavily modified ones like Bioshock or Duke Nukem Forever. It does not matter if you’re enabling vsync with D3DOverrider, an in-game option, or the engine .ini file, it all results in the same stutter. I’m noticing it in Unreal Tournament 2004 for example.